Monday, August 1, 2011

Greater Things Than Me

This was a humbling reminder of John 14:12- I tell you the solemn truth, the person who believes in me will perform the miraculous deeds that I am doing, and will perform greater deeds than these, because I am going to the Father.

One Friday I led a devotion during a morning meeting at Pekin camp.  We brainstormed questions and conversation starters to point our conversations with campers toward spiritual things.  One idea from a counselor named Nathan was to point-blank ask: "Have you accepted Christ as your personal savior?" 

That week Nathan had been specifically praying for visible fruit from the summer.  He had also had the previous day of camp off, which gave him more energy and focus on this day.

At the end of the day, I overheard Nathan using that reminder from the meeting to ask a younger camper about his relationship with Jesus.  A longer conversation ensured, and ended with the boy saying that he would like to pray with his mom that evening.

At this point, I was elated and if I had been Nathan, would have commenced with patting myself on the back.  But Nathan made a point to talk to this boys mom, explaining their conversation and the camper's desire to pray with his mom that evening.  Mom was excited and exclaimed "That's why I love this camp."

So here's to staff doing more than I myself would do, but mainly to Jesus working in all of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment